Saint Sava Sunday school is fully registered Community Language School under the NSW Department of Education. It offers courses of Serbian language, Serbian Chanting and music, and Orthodox Scripture.
The mission of the school is to provide means and support for students of Serbian origin to reconnect with their roots and cultural identity, and to keep the Serbian culture and Orthodox Christian tradition alive through language instruction which incorporates Serbian literature, basic teachings of the Orthodox theology, Serbian history, music and other unique manifestations of the rich Serbian heritage. School is also open to students of non-Serbian origin interested to learn about Serbian language, culture and Orthodox Christianity.
School strives to:
- Provide a safe and secure environment conducive to learning
- Employ qualified teachers and provide opportunities, through the NSW Department of Education – Community Language Schools program for further professional development
- Conduct appropriate classes, lectures and assessments of students’ progress
- Motivate students to study and achieve their potential
- Maintain close contact with parents regarding attendance, schedules and other activities affecting students
- Initiate and maintain regular consultations with other Serbian language schools, with the aim of maintaining and promoting Serbian language and culture and to improving language learning, through sharing ideas and resources among schools and teachers of the Serbian language in Community Language Schools in NSW.
Courses are held by Mrs Elena Molnar, professor of Serbian Language (graduate of the Novi Sad University), prof. Mr Slobodan Zivkovic (professor of Piano at the Wollongong Music Conservatory, Master of Piano and Ethnomusicology of the Belgrade University) and the parish priest Fr Sasha Cholich (graduate of the Belgrade University of Theology and Australian College of Applied Psychology).
School terms coincide with the NSW State School Term dates.
The school classes are conducted on Sundays from 9:00 to 11:00 am.
School fees are due and payable quarterly on the first day of each term. Precise fee amounts will depend on the number of children enrolling from each familly.